Okay so yesterday my sister and I tried our hand at being domestic. About a year agoI purchased myself a pressure canner from ebay, so I could can and be more self-reliant. So have I used it yet well not until yesterday. My sister Amy came up and while the kids were playing we sliced and diced potatoes, carrots, onions , and celery, to make a soup/stew mix, and then proceeded to figure out how to use the canner. My first instinct was to call my mother-in-law who is a pro canner. I actually started to call her when I remembered that she was in Hawaii probably snorkeling or lying on a beach with a good book, so I figured we needed to read the directions and figure it ourselves. Well we did it and have 12 jars to show for it. I will finish another batch today. I think the next thing we will try is spaghetti sauce.

The Canner

The finished product
5 comments:
What a great idea, very domestic of you. Thanks for inspiring me.
Oh that's great! I need to learn how to do this. I do green beans and beets with my mom but dread the day she can't do it any more.
Next year I'll be right there with you canning and stuff. We've decided that this year we were just going to get stuff ready for the baby. Next year I'll have more time to can and stuff. Way to go!
Good for you...We spent some time canning flour, rice, sugar, and oats. Now 450 pounds of product later I am feeling a little better prepared. I've never done soup before or spaghetti sauce. I have done peaches, tomatoes, applesauce and apple pie filling though.
It feels good, I think, to accomplish something that helps you be self reliant.
Totally impressive, Nikki! Stew and spaghetti sauce sound like such a great idea. I tried salsa and then was too afraid to eat it and ended up throwing it away. I need to can with a pro that will help me not be afraid that I will mess up and kill my family.
Post a Comment