This kickball incident also brought back memories of when I was in elementary school. Mostly of memories of gym class. I unlike Noah was not good at gym class and of course was one of the last kids to get picked for the team. ( unless of course by miracle I got to be team captain, or one of my friends were). Or I was the one when we played basketball that dribbled straight for the basket, thinking " I am so fast that no one is defending me" only to discover that I had shot the basket for the other team, while everyone chuckled. Yep that was me. Ahh the things we remember. Anyway I hope that my kids have better gym class experiences and that they find a kinder way to split up into teams.
Thursday, December 13, 2007
Kickball!!
I am learning that if you want your kids to talk to you about things that happened at school, it doesn't help to ask "What did you do at school today?" Or better yet "how was school today?" The answer will usually be "I don't remember" to the first question and "good" to the second question. I am however figuring out that if I am around enough, I learn a lot more about school. One of the kids will just randomly come up to me and start talking about his day. For instance at breakfast Noah says to me "Mom, we played kickball in gym class yesterday, it was awesome!" "Mom I almost caught a fly ball." "Mom, I was the only one to kick a homerun!" " And Josh was on the other team and he caught a fly ball," and on and on and on. It was great. I am beginning to understand the importance of staying home with your kids if at all possible. I am also thankful that I have been able to.
This kickball incident also brought back memories of when I was in elementary school. Mostly of memories of gym class. I unlike Noah was not good at gym class and of course was one of the last kids to get picked for the team. ( unless of course by miracle I got to be team captain, or one of my friends were). Or I was the one when we played basketball that dribbled straight for the basket, thinking " I am so fast that no one is defending me" only to discover that I had shot the basket for the other team, while everyone chuckled. Yep that was me. Ahh the things we remember. Anyway I hope that my kids have better gym class experiences and that they find a kinder way to split up into teams.
This kickball incident also brought back memories of when I was in elementary school. Mostly of memories of gym class. I unlike Noah was not good at gym class and of course was one of the last kids to get picked for the team. ( unless of course by miracle I got to be team captain, or one of my friends were). Or I was the one when we played basketball that dribbled straight for the basket, thinking " I am so fast that no one is defending me" only to discover that I had shot the basket for the other team, while everyone chuckled. Yep that was me. Ahh the things we remember. Anyway I hope that my kids have better gym class experiences and that they find a kinder way to split up into teams.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i loved reading how you get your info from your son about school and HOPED you would come to the same conclusion I had drawn so many years ago. And HOORAY! You did! There is absolutely NOTHING that can replace being on the spot when a child decides to tell you something. Oftimes, it's just day-to-day stuff. But there will also be those shake-the-earth comments that you NEED to hear.
That's why the saying Quality time not Quantity time is so INcorrect. You keep having the QUANTITY times, as much as you can possibly stuff into 24-hour days, and you will get all the QUALITY you need. And with no extra effort.
Good for you and David. Stay home forever. I did...and it's been such a joy.
Post a Comment