I am happy to say that things are getting easier, our household is slowly returning back to normal. I'm starting to feel normal again, and we are being rewarded by cute baby smiles and coos. It also helps that little Ruby has since about week #3 been a good little sleeper, waking only once at night to eat. As of the last week she has been sleeping all night from about 8:30pm to 6 am. I can handle that.
She was born a big baby and continues to be a chunky baby. At her 2 month check-up she weighed in at 12lbs and was 24in long- 90th percentile to be exact.

Little Ruby at 2months in all her chubbiness!
And now since I never recorded my labor story, I am going to do it now lest I forget.
November 11th was my official due date, and since my midwife wanted to induce me because she thought Ruby would be to big, I got to pick the day. So I picked my due date, because 11-11 is a fun day to be born on. So Dave and I got up went to the hospital at 6 am. After we got to our room the nurse checked me ( I was dialated to a 4, I should have been in labor right?) , then they hooked me up to pitocin and the contractions started coming regularly but nothing too painful. Colleen my midwife came in to see me at 8 am before her office hours, she told me she'd be back at noon to break my water. Things were really plugging along, I mean I was reading books, watching daytime tv, which included shows like the Price is Right, and The Family Feud. Poor Dave he was so bored. Colleen came back at around 1pm, of course it was just as All my Children was starting, she was going to make me miss the beginning. She checked me again and this time I was maybe a 4.5. (Great I thought, we're really moving now). So she broke my water and turned up the pitocin to the maximum level. Still not too much going on, regular contractions but nothing too painful. Around 3 oclock Colleen came back in and said she was done with her office hours so she would be around if I needed her. I was about a 5. Then things started moving a little bit. Things started to get a little bit painful, than a lot painful. I was pacing the floor, doing jumping jacks you name it, I was going to get this baby out. About 4:45 pm things started to get really rough, so I told Dave to go get the nurse so she could check me. This time I was an 8. I told her she'd better go find Colleen because this baby would be here very soon. So out she went, and then I felt it, you know that pain and pressure you feel when you need to push, and Heaven help you, you will punch anyone that says just wait while I go find your midwife. I told Dave to go get that nurse again or go find Colleen otherwise you will be delivering this baby. (Dave was much faster at getting someone than those blasted call buttons). So casually the nurse strolls in and says "Colleen wants me to check you again, but you can't be a 10 that fast". "I say hurry up or you'll be delievering this baby" ( okay not really, I was too nice" "Oh she says I guess I'd better go get Colleen it's time to have this baby, don't push till she gets back". Well as any woman about to deliver a baby knows that is nearly impossible. I keep telling Dave that I really have to push this baby out, he's like "just do it, all catch her". For minute that sounded like a good idea but then Colleen showed up and 3 pushes later Ruby was here all 8lbs 15.6 oz of her. They let me hold her for a second while Dave cut the cord. Then they wisked her away to make sure she was breathing okay. ( she was). While she was under the warmer Dave was snapping pictures including a lovely picture of my placenta (gross! I will not post it in fact we will just have to remember that he took it because I have since deleted it).
Details of the delivery I found out after I was snuggling with my precious newborn. ( you see you can't be too mad or worried while you have a cute baby in your arms). 1. Ruby was nice and purple because her cord was wrapped around her neck "pretty tight" and 2. I had to wait so long to push because they had to find Colleen, who had delivered 5 babies in the past 48hrs, was taking a nap.
But as they say all's well that ends well. Labor and deliveries don't always go the way you planned, but the end result is priceless.
7 comments:
Very good story. Still wish I could have been there to deliver her, with my dream of being a midwife and all.
Lucky you. I never got past a 4. Maybe next time we'll do things the "normal" way.
Nice labor and delivery story!! I am glad it all went well. I am still laughing that Davea took a picture of the placenta. I am sure it looked good!! Oh, and I still think you are amazing that you can go "natural." I am still scared of the idea. I know it is all mental-that is why I am proud of you!! She is a cute little girl, and I love that she is chubby!!
Cute story!
Charlene
yikes stripes...that is not a good story. that is a horror story. What is it with you moms and midwives. my daughter-in-law had one and a friend's d-i-l had one. We must be old...we want doctors. childbirth might be natural but I go with the non natural way AND a doctor. But she is beauty and clearly your child
What we Moms go through to get these precious ones here.
9-10 months pregnant and then the whole first year.
That's been 16 years of my life!
But it's definitely worth it!
Great story!!! she is such a cutie, and I still think she looks like Ammon!!!
Post a Comment