Last night Dave and I were doing some paperwork when we came across some papers from close to 10 years ago that made us laugh. It also made me realize how simple those days seem now. Although at the time they didn't seem so simple.
Last night we found an old binder that had our budget in it from the first year we were married. There was also and old check register that showed the things we spent money on. My favorite was to see our grocery budget that was $30 a week. I remember every Saturday Dave and I would go to the Food For Less in Provo ( it is no longer there) and buy what we needed as Dave would calculate in his head how much we had spent and whether or not we could buy ice cream that week. Then we would go to the Laundry mat and do homework while we were waiting for our laundry to be done. Those were the days, we didn't have much money but we did have fun. One of my favorite entries in the check register was my first purchase from the store Motherhood Maternity. For our first Anniversary we went to the Olive Garden for dinner and then shopping for maternity clothes for our first baby.
It sure was fun to look back on those days, they were good days. Though today our weekly grocery budget is a lot higher and life doesn't seem so simple, it is still good .
10 comments:
$30 for a weeks worth of grocerys at food for less-yeah that was the day. Life was so simple back in the before kids stage. (Let me guess, you were doing your taxes, and that is how you found all your old Accounting files)
There is nothing like that first year of marriage when everything is so new! Life seemed so simple back then in comparison to now...but I know what you mean about it not seeming so simple when you were going through it. Its those little things like doing your homework in the laundry mat that made life so fun. Love the creative college days!
Yeah we didn't know how good we had it back then. I wouldn't trade any of those poor college days for anything. Lessons learned were priceless! And I found pleasure in very simple things.
I remember our same $30 budget at food 4 less. I remember telling Ben that I was so excited for the day when I didn't have to buy generic ice cream, but could buy something like Ben and Jerry's. Good memories.
I remember our same $30 budget at food 4 less. I remember telling Ben that I was so excited for the day when I didn't have to buy generic ice cream, but could buy something like Ben and Jerry's. Good memories.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. That totally brings back memories.
Oh my...that brought back so many memories. I remember going to the grocery store and buying a week's worth of groceries for us 4 and spending only $15.00. That was 38 yeaars ago. Now my vegan rice milk is $4.00 dollars a half a gallon. So by the time I buy my vegan groceries alone I spend close to $ 125.00 dollars every 2 weeks. And that's not counting the regular stuff I buy on the side. Times have changed. YUK!
Check out my blogs Nikki
http://inspirationallettersbymillie.blogspot.com
http://2good4nana.spaces.live.com/
How fun to run across stuff like that! It's nice that Ben and I haven't moved that far from our old stomping grounds...Rocky River. It's amazing how you can run into giant eagle for just a prescription and walk out with a buggy full of groceries when kids are involved. Maybe we will all go back to those 30-40 dollar grocery days when the kids are all grown up, but then my husband would miss all the fruit snacks and I would miss the babies
I remember our 'good ol days.' We still talk about the time we went 'window shopping' at the grocery store for a date. We saw somebody we knew, so we started throwing things in the cart, and then had to put them back after they left!
The secret to life is to make all of your days the good ones! (Cindy)
The good old days, before children and work and stuff. Love the college years. Memories!! ya gotta lov'em
Post a Comment