Well Dave and I were planning a family trip to Disney World in January. I thought it would be fun to move it up to June and surprise the kids ( see how I have trouble waiting for things). After doing our research and realizing that June would be a decent time to go where the weather would definitely be warm and the crowds not too bad, we decided to move the trip up. And we didn't tell the kids about it. ( I highly recommend this for any vacation never once did we have to listen to " How many days till Disney World") So it took a lot of sneakiness, but we pulled it off. A week before we left I went to the kids' schools to inform the teachers that they would be missing the last 3 days of school. The teachers were even in on the secret, emptying out the kids' del for them and leaving it at the office to be picked up after we got back.
I packed the bags while the kids were at school and loaded up the van before they got home from school. I picked Ammon up from school a little early, and since Dave was home early we told the kids that we had to take Dad to the airport for a business trip. The kids were very concerned that they would miss their baseball games. So we took off and drove to Akron/Canton airport ( found a good deal). When we got to the long term parking we decided to tell them so they didn't go too crazy in the airport. So Dave tells them " I have some good news and some bad news" . " The bad news is that we won't make it home in time for baseball" At this time a few of the kids got a little upset , then he said " the good news is that we are going to Disney World, and you get to miss the last 3 days of school!" Then everyone started cheering, I started crying (yes I get choked up at funny times), and we tried to calm everyone down enough to not make a huge scene at the airport. That did not stop them from telling everyone on the parking shuttle and every person they passed by that they were going to Disney World.
We checked in and then realized that we'd left the car seats in the car, so Dave quickly ran back to the car (instead of waiting for the shuttle), we made it uneventfully through security ( thank goodness it was not a busy airport), and then to our gate just in time to board our flight. The kids were all very good on the plane, Ruby who did not have a seat (under 2) sat in Claire's car seat once we got in the air which made things much easier. The only thing was that Ruby's legs were the perfect length to kick the seat in front of her, which she did quite often. Everyone was too excited to sleep but, kept themselves busy listening to the mlb channel on the in-flight stations, the Indians game was on so it seriously kept the boys occupied the entire time, while the girls colored , ate snacks, drank pop, and checked out the airplane bathroom several times.
We arrived at our hotel at bedtime - Dave took Noah and went to the grocery store, which was conveniently located next door, to get snacks for the next day. I started getting the other kiddos settled down for bed, which was challenging because everyone was so excited. I think everyone finally conked out around 11pm and slept all night till dad woke everyone up the next morning @ 6:15.
Here are the kids enjoying their flight, and a video of when we told the kids, ( don't mind the poor cinematography)
6 comments:
LOVE IT!!! great video-- definitely nominated for best parents of the year:-)
I think you are AWESOME parents!!
that was precious!! watching Noah's face was so funny! And Ammon in the back!
You did it!!
The surprise was the best part!!
I Love that you captured the moment on video. What a wonderful Surprise!
So fun! I love Noah's reaction! What great kids you have.
Post a Comment