Sunday, August 29, 2010

NYC Day 6- July 7

Well as you can tell I am really behind on my blog entries, summer just went by way to fast. Hopefully I will be able to catch up in the next few weeks. :) If you could call our Day 5 in NY- history day, than Day 6 would definitely be called culture day. At the sound of this the kids all gave an audible groan. We woke up that morning and hopped the subway and headed to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It was fantastic. A little travel tip for you, if you ever decide to go, Kids under 12 are free, the suggested price for adults is 20 per person. However you can pay what you want. We only stayed a couple of hours so we decided only to pay half. The museum was amazing, there were many famous works of art on display, I could have stayed there for hours, Dave too. The kids really, really liked the "Arms and Armor" wing and could have stayed there all day. Their was a room that was dedicated to a huge mural of The Place at Versaille. The room was a rotunda and the mural covered the whole circumference of the room. We walked in and felt like we were in France. On display they also have part of an ancient Egyptian Temple, Dave found that one really fascinating. My personal favorite was an exhibit entitled "American Woman". It depicted women through fashion history. I the costumes on display we absolutely beautiful, I honestly was close to tears. However no pictures of this exhibit because , there was absolutely no photography allowed. ( although I think my sister April may have snuck a photo or two.) All in all it was a wonderful experience, even the kids had fun, and they only set off the alarm ( for getting to close to the artwork) once.
After that we grabbed lunch from some street vendors, then we left Dave and the kids to head to the Central Park zoo, and April and I hopped on the subway and headed to the Majestic Theater on Broadway to see Phantom of the Opera which is currently the longest running show on Broadway. Our subway ride was adventurous to say the least. It wouldn't have been a true NY vacation if something like this didn't happen. We got on the subway, and this old man who was obviously very drunk, started talking to us. He was giving us advice on men, and how we needed to stay strong and find a "black man to marry, because they are they best lovers in the world." Then this other larger woman got on the subway, and he said to her " you are big and juicy, and you have a lot of love inside of you" I could go on and on about the words of wisdom this man gave to us, but I won't.
So then we went to the show and had fantastic seats, 2nd row. It was an amazing show, I just couldn't believe how amazing it was. I hope I can get to NY again so I can hit another Broadway show.
Dave and the kids had a good time at the zoo, then they took naps. After we got home and ate dinner Dave took the boys to Roosevelt Park to see the Never Ending Story. They had a good time there, while April and I enjoyed talking like the good old days.

The fam at the Met

Noah inside ancient Egyptian Temple

Noah and Ian fascinated with the guns

Dave and Claire looking at ballerina painting by Degas

Kids reenacting degas painting

Noah with a really cool piece of modern art

kids on one of the many awesome rocks in Central Park

Alice in Wonderland statue in Central Park

At the Central Park Zoo

Rabbits at the zoo

Ruby chillin' with the penguins ( it was air conditioned)

Watching the polar bear swim


Ammon at the petting zoo

Noah petting a llama

Claire and her favorite animal

No comments: