Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Its great to be 8!

This morning I am reflecting on where I was 8 years ago. 8 yrs ago at the University of Chicago hospital at 8:32am CST our chubby little Ian was born. I say chubby because if you look at him now you would not believe he started out so chubby. He weighed in at 8 lbs 15 oz. His delivery was my favorite of all of my kids. I am going to post it here for posterity sake.
When Ian was born, Dave was in law school, we had been told that because the U of C hospital was a intercity hospital, that the nurses and staff were pretty tough ( they had to be seeing as many of the mom's they saw were teen moms), and that the hospital experience wouldn't be so good unless you used a midwife. They had some kind of power over the maternity floor, where they would make sure you had the experience you wanted. So we decided to use the midwives, they were absolutely wonderful. I remember my labor and delivery nurse, trying to do something, and my midwife stopped her, because she said it wasn't necessary. Ian was 10 days late, which if you have ever been late you know how fun that is. Ian is actually my only baby who came on his own with out the help of pitocin. I remember the night before Dave, Noah and I took a walk to the co-op to buy some hot chocolate. We ran into friends and I jokingly said "tonight's the night". Then we walked home put Noah to bed and then started watching "A Bugs Life". I noticed I was having contractions that were coming every 10 min. I called my mom first and panicked and she told me to call my midwife. So I did and she told me to call her and go to the hospital when they were 5 min. So we called Dave's mom an hour away and told her to come and spend the night, because we thought we would be leaving soon. About 2:30 am they were about 5 min apart, so we got up and drove to the hospital. In hind sight it was a perfect time to go into labor since no one was out and we found tons of free street parking right in front of the hospital. We went to the check in desk, and the man laughingly said, " You're smiling too much, you're not staying" But we were staying! Once my midwife arrived she filled up the portable birthing tub and I labored in there for awhile which was a very positive experience. Then I got out and she broke my water, and at 8:32 am , Ian graced us with his presence after only about 5 good pushes. I should add, that since The University of Chicago hospital is a teaching hospital, there were about 10 other people in the room at delivery, that was a little crazy. But all's well that ends well. Ever since that day 8 years ago Ian has been filling our home with smiles, laughs, and energy. We are so happy he is a part of our family.

Ian at 3 months old.

Ian last week

7 comments:

Lauren -HCP said...

Ahhhh, Happy Birthday ian, what a nice story:-)

Haley said...

such a cutie!! happy birthday Ian!

Harris said...

Oh My gosh your kiddo's are so cute. Man and your pics make me miss Ohio!

Sarah said...

I just love birth stories. I remember talking to you on the phone a week or so before he was born. Dave was out of town doing interviews-I think-and you were hoping nothing would happened while he was gone. Yes, that was a pretty good birthing experience. He is a cute little boy-who is not so little anymore.

Susan said...

super recap. a real keeper. and you are right...i would never have guessed Ian was chubby at birth.

Jodi said...

Happy Birthday Ian!!! It is great to be 8!

Cindy said...

I loved this story!
It inspires me to write some things down!